Monday, September 15, 2008

DotA



After reading the title, you may ask yourselves, Oh my gawd! Is this guy going to ramble and babble about DoTA?


That is certainly not the case. Instead, I will explain that DoTA is actually underrated and it is as beneficial as any other sport.


I first experienced DotA during my second year of secondary school. Back then, I knew nuts about it. Although I had played the Warcraft III campaign, I was bemused at what was happening on the screen. Sometime or the rather, a pop-up message will say XXX has pwned YYY. Unfortunately, I was YYY. And the process kept repeating itself. If I remember correctly, I had been 'pwned' 34 times in that game. What is more amusing is that the game had just reached the mid-point. I was utterly humiliated, so to avoid further ignominy, I chose what most gamers would do: I left.


After that, I haven't been in contact with DotA. It was only in my 3rd year of secondary school that I finnaly "played" the game. This time I was more knowing of the game; I was familiar with all the gambits, builds, techniques, bugs, and even the game play. Hence, I would say I was knowledgeable about the game, inside out.
The question that I want to address is: Isn't DotA just a waste of time? My answer to that is absolutely not.


To me DotA has actually taught many moral values, the primary would definitely TEAMWORK. In DotA, teamwork is quintessential. Without teamwork, the chance of winning the game is LESS than 1%. In a typical game of DotA, there are usually 5 players on each side, battling out to destroy the opponents’ headquarters. Therefore, these 5 players have to work together in terms of strategy and trickery, in order to come out on top.




Also, Dote also teaches its players HOW to be smart. Smart here means the ability to seize the golden opportunity. During game play, players have to ALWAYS be alert so that they WHEN and WHERE to attack, to intercept and to 'pwned' the enemy. DotA players have to consistently update themselves of the surrounding area in the game in order to launch an attack or a counterattack. Isn't the same tactics use in ANY other team sports? I asked you. In any team sports, for example soccer, each player has to take into account on what IS HAPPENING! Even though DotA doesn't exercise you physic, it sure exercises your brain.


Not only that, DotA might possibly be catalyst for success. Nowadays, e-games are becoming pervasive into our society. The proof: WCG. DotA is one of the games offered in WCG and it is the most anticipated game. DotA competitions have increased all over the world, especially in the western countries (No doubt about that). Cash prizes are also increasing. Day after day, the view on e-games, especially DotA, is gradually changing from outcast to guest of honor. Don't be surprise in the near future DotA will the more rave on than soccer or basketball and newspapers will give reports (!) on the vogue of DotA.


Go figure!

No comments: