Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A visit to a orphanage




Sorry 'bout the boring title but the title does says it all.

I recently had the opportunity to volunteer myself in this project. I have to admit; it is my first time to an orphanage. However, I went there with a open mind ,hoping to learn a thing or two from this experience.

We left early in the morning. Tired, I boarded the bus and off we went to the orphanage (Desa Amal Jernih)

It wasn't a long journey. That meant I couldn't catch up on my sleep. We soon arrive at out destination 45 minutes later. The place was huge. I learned that this wasn't just an orphanage but also a center for senior citizens too.

We didn't waste any time as we quickly got to work. We helped cleaned the houses, shift furniture, sort out clothes and organized the donated items. We also got to meet the children. They were all very happy, smiling and laughing. At the end of the day, we organized a little game for them : modelling plasticine. I certainly cannot deny that each and every one of the plasticine sculptures was magnificent. In the end, everyone won the game and each of them got a prize.

Soon, however, it was time to say our goodbyes. All I can say is that I did truly learned something valuable. No matter how bad the situation is, there always a silver lining, if one perseveres 'till the end.


































Well, I hope I can take my own advice 'cause life for me right now is looking rather bleak. Oh well...~

No comments: